Built in 1879 for the Hibernia Mine Railroad, and used as a railroad bridge for fifteen years, the structure has now been incorporated as part of Somerset County's Raritan River Greenway, and is in use as a pedestrian bridge over the Raritan Water Power Canal.

A Brief History

The span also has a connection to Hillsborough Township history. In 1894, The Central Railroad of New Jersey bought the bridge and moved it from Morris County to Hillsborough - but not for use by their trains. The bridge was used to carry carriages - and eventually horseless carriages - on Mill Lane over the tracks of the CNJ's South Branch Railroad as part of a grade-separation project.

Description borrowed from www.mycentraljersey.com

Amenities / Features of Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge:

0-0 Main Categories & Types
Parks and Natural Areas
Historic Area
Specialty Locations
0-0 Special Location and Tour Search Categories
General Amenities
Activities
Bird watching
Fishing
Freshwater
Jogging / Running
Trail Running
Special Activities
A !Checking out bridges
Walking
Amenities
Exhibits !It is the exhibit
Parking Lot(s)
Special Buildings / Structures
Historic
Trails
General Location
New Jersey
General Areas within NJ
Central NJ
Regions (based on tourism)
Skylands (Hunt, Mor, Som, Sus, War)
Misc Information
Listing Center: Latitude: 40.5606
Listing Center: Longitude: -74.6474
Record Status: 1.0000
Record Title: Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge
Special Connections
County Park Systems
Somerset County Parks
Trails / Trail Information
Flat / Easy
Surface Type(s)
Dirt
Walking Paths

Additional Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge Content: