Update July 2016: The information below is a little outdated. The trail has been extended a lot since it was originally written here, with new sections being added as we speak. We would recommend that you visit the official UTT page on the Monmouth County Park page for new details / maps / trail plans. Once the latest section (betweenAllentown-Red Valley Rd and Davis Station Rd) has been opened we will update this trail section.
Photos & More See More
You may also like...
Categories See More
- Equestrian / Horseback
- Jogging / Running
- Mountain Biking
- Skiing / Snowboarding
- Surface Type: Crushed rock
- Walking Paths
Parks & Gardens:
- County Parks
- Rail To Trail
Trail & Path Info
The crushed rock trail/path is currently 4 miles, one way. Since this is an old railway, the grade change is very minimal. And the crushed rock bed allows for a solid surface, without getting muddy during wet times. Depending on how long you would like to ride/walk, you may want to consider which parking lot would be your best starting point:
Millstream Road/Rt. 537 Parking Lot:
- This lot is located in the southern most section of the path. From beginning to end and back, you will cover a total of 8 miles. - When heading north, you will have the full 4 miles ahead of you, finding the Jonathan Holmes Rd lot about 2 miles away. Within this stretch, you will ride through thick woods, nice fields and open areas throughout, but will also have to cross a few roads. One road crossing you will encounter is Rt 539 . This can be Very busy at times. Always be careful crossing this and any street!
Jonathan Holmes Road Parking Lot:
- From this lot we usually recommend heading north (meaning you will not cross Jonathan Holmes Rd) on the trail. it is a nice 2 mile trip to the current end of the trail, where you will turn around and come back. There is only 1 road crossing here that has very minimal traffic anytime we have visited. When the entire path is completed, the trail will measure 8.6 miles in length. We have not seen plans on when this may happen.
There are currently 3 primary parking lots along the path..
(northern) Sharon Station / Herbert Rd:
This lot is located the the northern-most section of the UTT, and is the only official parking are for the northern stretch of the trail. This trail is large enough to fit many cars. At the time we visited (2015), there were portablerestrooms.
(central) Jonathan Holmes Road Parking Lot:
This lot is also large, and had a picnic table last time we visited. Access to the trail is connected directly to the lot.
(southern) Millstream Road/Rt. 537 Parking Lot:
You will find a park kiosk, porta-potty, large lot, and parking for horse trailers. The trailhead is found across the street from the lot.
Millstream Road/Rt. 537 Parking Lot:- From Freehold or 195 exit 16, west on Rt. 537, cross Rt. 539 and continue approximately 1 mile to Millstream Road. Turn right, parking lot on left. - From Ocean County, east on Rt. 537 and cross Rt. 68. Continue approximately 6 miles to Millstream Road. Turn left and parking lot on left.
Jonathan Holmes Road Parking Lot:- From Freehold or 195 exit 16, west on Rt. 537. Turn right at traffic light onto Emley's Hill Road then bear left onto Jonathan Holmes Road. Lot will be on right. - From Ocean County, east on Rt. 537. Turn left onto Rt 539 (Forked River Road) then right onto Jonathan Homes Road. Lot will be on left.
On the Web
Nearby Places Browse All
- Cream Ridge Winery (~1 miles)
- Historic Walnford Farm (~2 miles)
- Crosswicks Creek Park (~2 miles)
- Clayton Park (~2 miles)
- Holland Ridge Farms (~2 miles)
- Bullock Farms (~3 miles)
- Horse Park of New Jersey at Stone Tavern, Inc. (~4 miles)
- Prospertown Wildlife Management Area (~4 miles)
- Oasis Family Farm (~4 miles)
- Assunpink Wildlife Management Area (~5 miles)
- Robbinsville Community Park (~5 miles)
- Six Flags Great Adventure (~5 miles)
|Details:||Short Url: gonj.me/542ahg Last Updated: 2016-07-17 13:13:31|