The Palisades Interstate Park Commission, formed in 1900, operates the Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey and the State Parks and Historic Sites in New Yorks Palisades Region.
From 1900 to 1937, the Commissioners of the Palisades Interstate Park consisted of two separate bodies, the New York and New Jersey Commissions (though they generally had identical personnel). In 1937, the two states authorized a Compact to create a single Palisades Interstate Park Commission as a joint corporate municipal instrumentality of the States of New Jersey and New York, and the President of the United States approved the joint resolution granting the consent of Congress to the Compact. The Compact provided that the Palisades Interstate Park continue to exist and be maintained in the two States as an Interstate Park. The States pledged faithful cooperation in the future planning, improvement, development, maintenance, government, and management of the park.
The Governor of New York and the Governor of New Jersey each appoint five Commissioners to the Palisades Interstate Park Commission, who serve staggered five-year terms. The Commissioners serve without pay.
The Palisades Interstate Park Commission shall preserve natural, historic, and cultural resources, and provide for their use by the public for recreational and educational purposes.