In the heart of West Milford, the Wallisch Homestead is one of the most endangered historic sites in New Jersey. This 200-year-old farm is home to 100 acres of picturesque meadows, woodlands and wetlands, as well as several historic farm buildings.With significant restoration efforts the property holds promise to become a cultural, recreational and educational center for our community. The Friends of Wallisch Homestead seek to raise awareness of the importance of this property and help fund and organize its restoration.
You may also like...
Categories See More
- Picnic / Sitting Area
- Flat / Easy
Parks & Gardens:
- Historic Area
A Brief History
The property was bequeathed to our township to be used forgeneral recreation, hiking, nature study, and agricultural education. It is one of the last remaining properties that reflects Northern New Jersey's agricultural heritage and West Milfords past.
The Friends was first organized in 2013 and established as a 501C3 not for profit corporation in 2014. We believe the Wallisch Homestead has the potential to offer a wide variety of historic, cultural, and recreational uses for both residents and visitors. Considerable funding is needed to plan and preserve the buildings on this property for future appropriate use. Otherwise, they will be lost forever.
Trail & Path Info
Related Groups / Organizations
On the Web
Nearby Places Browse All
- Greenwood Lake Airport-4n1 (~1 miles)
- Jungle Habitat (~1 miles)
- Long Pond Ironworks State Park (~2 miles)
- Paintball Depot (~2 miles)
- Abram S. Hewitt State Forest (~3 miles)
- Greenwood Lake Paddleboards, Monksville Reservoir (~3 miles)
- The New Weis Center for Education, Arts & Recreation (~5 miles)
- Highlands Natural Swimming Pool (~5 miles)
- Wawayanda State Park (~5 miles)
- Norvin Green State Forest (~6 miles)
- New Jersey State Botanical Garden (~6 miles)
- Tackle and Field (~6 miles)
|Details:||Short Url: gonj.me/8657cw Last Updated: 2015-08-17 22:55:49|