Black River and Western Railroad At A Glance...
About Black River and Western Railroad
Come ride our passenger trains on the Black River & Western Railroad in Flemington & Ringoes, NJ! Family friendly events are offered throughout the year, including the Three Bridges Excursions, Corn Maze trains, and North Pole Express.
- Parking Lot(s)/Garage
- Scenic Train Rides
- Museum / Gallery
A Brief History
Founded in the early 1960's by a group of friends with an interest in steam railroading, the Black River & Western Railroad has seen many changes over the years. The first BR&W passenger trains between Flemington and Ringoes operated under a lease agreement with the Pennsylvania Railroad, which still operated freight service on the line. Eventually, the BR&W purchased the line from Lambertville to Flemington, and later added the former Central Railroad of New Jersey line from Flemington to Three Bridges.
Once the BR&W owned the railroad outright, we got into the freight business! We are proud that our little railroad, built in 1854, has never ceased serving its original purpose: providing economical transportation to local businesses. BR&W currently serves several industrial customers in Hunterdon and Warren Counties. In fact, our railroad is one of the few places in North America where you will ocassionally encounter a revenue steam-powered freight train!
You may also like...
Related Groups / Organizations
- Black River and Western Railroad (~0 miles)
- Old York Cellars Winery (~2 miles)
- Unionville Vineyards (~2 miles)
- Pine Creek Miniature Golf (~3 miles)
- Northlandz - Model Railroad and Doll Museum (~6 miles)
- Howell Living History Farm (~7 miles)
- Sourland Cycles (~7 miles)
- Derwood Farm (~7 miles)
- The Watershed Institute (~7 miles)
- Belle Mountain (~7 miles)
- Hopewell Valley Vineyards (~7 miles)
- Baldpate Mountain (~8 miles)
Looking for more?
- Around the Web