2019 closing dates for Deer Management Program - THE PARK IS CLOSED all day on these dates.
- January 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- February 6, 13
Chimney Rock / Washington Valley park At A Glance...
- Todays Sunrise: 5:52 am, Sunset: 8:17 pm
- Equestrian / Horseback
- Jogging / Running
- Mountain Bike
- Skiing / Snowboarding
- Parking - Street Parking Available
- Parking Lot(s)/Garage
- Flat / Easy
- Some are challenging
- Rugged / Rocky
- Walking Paths
- County Parks
- Park (General)
- New Jersey Skylands Region Somerset County
About Chimney Rock / Washington Valley park
Washington Valley Park (also known as Chimney Rock) is 686 acres of undeveloped wooded areas includes mountain biking and hiking trails and a hawk watching area.
The western portion of the park is located on the first ridge of the Watchung Mountains between Vosseller Ave. and Newmans Lane, on both sides of Chimney Rock Road and is the second largest park in the Somerset Co. Park System. It includes the Chimney Rock Hawk Watch, a platform a short walk from a parking area towards the end of Miller Ln. A team has been counting hawks here since 1990 and typically spot from 10 - 20,000 hawks, falcons and eagles in a season. The migration season runs from Sept. through Nov. with the greatest number of birds in the middle of Sept.
There are many miles of mountain bike and hiking trils in the park accessible from Newmans Ln. Gilbride Rd. and Miller Ln. MiddleBrook Trail runs thru the park.
Trail & Path Info
The trails throughout the park range from rocky and somewhat steep to flat and soft dirt.
You may also like...
Related Groups / Organizations
- Chimney Rock / Washington Valley park (~0 miles)
- Eastern Mountain Sports (Bridgewater) (~3 miles)
- Duke Farms (~4 miles)
- Garden State Exhibit Center (~5 miles)
- Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge (~5 miles)
- Washington Memorial Park (~5 miles)
- Putting Course at Colonial Park (~6 miles)
- Colonial Park Gardens (~6 miles)
- Duke Island Park (~6 miles)
- North Branch Park (~6 miles)
- Leonard J. Buck Garden (~6 miles)
- Lord Stirling Stable (~7 miles)
Looking for more?
- Around the Web