- Scenic Train Rides
The New York Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society is a non-profit educational society interested in the preservation of the rich railroad history of New Jersey, most specifically that of the New York Susquehanna & Western Railway. Society members are located in half of the states and have come from around the world, at times numbering up to 500. The society is primarily funded by its partnership in the Delaware River Railroad Excursions based out of Phillipsburg. Easter Bunny, A Day Out With Thomas and The Polar Express train rides are favorite themed events!
The Society has three of the original four Susquehanna Budd cars and an operating steam locomotive as part of its 20 piece collection of railroad equipment. If you are interested in railroading there are many ways to get involved. The Delaware River Railroad Excursions needs train crew and maintenance personnel. Maywood Station needs caretakers and docents. There are the meetings and publications to administer. At all sites there is always plenty to do.
Special / Seasonal Events
There are fun, seasonal trips throughout the year. This includes:
- River Train-Weekend trips along the scenic Delaware River - Weekend trips start May 7th - All trains run weekends to October 30th.
- Mine Train-The Ol' Susquehanna Mine is once again open. Come explore the newly renovated mine site. Take a fun educational trip back to the 1850's! Trips leave 11:00 am, 12:30 pm and 2:00 PM. ( 3:30pm in October as well)
- Easter Bunny Train -Ride the Easter Bunny Train Ride and visit with Mr. E. Bunny on the train - Please see their website for additional details
- Corn Maze-Come play the game where getting lost is half the fun! - Open Weekends in October
- Winery Train-Enjoy a beautiful journey along the scenic Delaware River behind New Jersey's only operating steam locomotive. Visit to one of New Jersey's most beautiful Wineries.
- The Pumpkin Train-Every train is "The great Pumpkin Train" in October!The Great Pumpkin Train runs from October 1st to the end of October, weekends.
- A Day Out With Thomas-Day Out With Thomas is a family event that offers children and their grownups the opportunity to ride with classic storybook friend Thomas the Tank Engine . - Dates are usually in July each year
- The Polar Express -Inspired by the run-away hit movie produced by Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc. and the award winning book by Chris Van Allsburg, this holiday favorite comes to life as you and your family take a ride on The Polar Express. Tickets will go on sale June 1st at midnight ( 11:59 PM May 31st)