Frelinghuysen Arboretum At A Glance...
About Frelinghuysen Arboretum
The Frelinghuysen Arboretum, a lovely 127-acre tract now surrounded by busy highways and office parks was once Whippany Farm. This estate was bequeathed to Morris County in 1969. Currently, the beautiful Colonial Revival mansion serves as headquarters for the Morris County Park Commission. The Frelinghuysen Arboretum is a regional center for horticultural activities, including educational programs and garden and flower shows. For park strollers, The Frelinghuysen Arboretum offers gardens, open fields, woodland and groves of flowering trees that bring serenity to our harried lives.
Description borrowed from www.arboretumfriends.org
- Jogging / Running
- Parking Lot(s)/Garage
- Nature / Environmental Center
- Picnic / Sitting Area
- Flat / Easy
- Walking Paths
- County Parks
- Gardens / Arboretum
- Park (General)
- Scenic Areas (overlooks/waterfalls)
- Alcohol *NOT Permitted*
- Biking *NOT Permitted*
- Pets *NOT Permitted*
Our Personal Take...
We visited the Frelinghuysen Arboretum in Morris Township for the first time in June of 2014. The gardens, grounds and trails were simply beautiful. Though we only went for a quick walk, we loved every minute. We do hope to get back many times throughout the year.
A Brief History
For detailed information about the history of the Frelinghuysen Arboretum, please visit the www.arboretumfriends.org.
Trail & Path Info
Many miles of trails are available within the park. We consider most to be "stroll worthy" and not really extensive hiking. The trails through the gardens are beautiful. A spur of the Patriots Path also stretches into the park. One thing to note is that the change in elevation (50+ feet) can give a nice challenge to those walking the trails.
Things to See & Do
We truly enjoyed visiting the fern gardens, the mansion, the rock maze, and the rose garden. But everything else is a close #2 on our "Must See" list :)
Picnics / Lunches / Eating
Though you will not find picnic tables, the open fields offer a welcoming area for a picnic.
Parking is found in a large, multi-row lot within the grounds of the location.
We would suggest using a GPS to find this park. But we do want to mention that the entrance is directly across the street from the Morris County Library.
You may also like...
Related Groups / Organizations
- Frelinghuysen Arboretum (~0 miles)
- Mennen Sport Arena (~2 miles)
- Historic Speedwell (~2 miles)
- Morris Plains Community Park And Community Center (~2 miles)
- Whippany Railway Museum (~3 miles)
- Fosterfields Living Historical Farm (~3 miles)
- Greystone Woods Disc Golf Course (~4 miles)
- The Funplex Amusement Center - East Hanover (~4 miles)
- Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms (~4 miles)
- Pelican Sport Center (Morris Plains) (~5 miles)
- Lewis Morris County Park (~5 miles)
- Great Swamp Outdoor Education Center (~5 miles)
Looking for more?
- Around the Web