Gingerbread Castle (closed) At A Glance...
About Gingerbread Castle (closed)
The Gingerbread Castle in its abandoned condition remains as one of the few surviving fairy tale themed amusement parks. The idea to build such a structure spawned from the mind of Fred Henry Bennett, who as a child was inspired by fairy tales. However the castle itself was designed and built by Austrian architect and designer, Joseph Urban. The castle was completed in 1928 for a cost of $50,000. Throughout the following decades the castle's unique appearance attracted children and adults alike. Tour guides led eager visitors into a Hansel and Gretel inspired world, where mythical ideas were turned into tangible sets. But much like any fairy tale, the Gingerbread Castle's last pages were finally turned in the 1980's. Due to loss of interest the castle fell into disrepair and was only seldom used as a Halloween attraction for a few years. Today the castle remains abandoned. It's interior has been stripped of anything valuable and nature continues to take her toll, battering the exterior, season in and season out. But amongst the faded paint, broken glass, and barb wire fencing, the castle's allure still seems to shine through. On any given day people can be found glancing over the fence, fulfilling their curiosity or perhaps remembering a time when they themselves visited the castle. Supposedly the castle remains in the hands of an owner. However until any real recognition takes place, the castle truly belongs to the curious, adventurous, and daring. The oddity the Gingerbread Castle is, will always attract people for better and for worse.
You may also like...
- Gingerbread Castle (closed) (~0 miles)
- Hardyston Township Sports and Recreation Complex (~1 miles)
- Cava Winery & Vineyard (~1 miles)
- Beaver Hill Campground (closed) (~2 miles)
- Andersen Farms (~3 miles)
- Drop Zone Tubing Park (~4 miles)
- Sterling Hill Mining Museum (~5 miles)
- Mountain Creek Resort (~5 miles)
- Tall Timbers Property Owners (~6 miles)
- Wallkill River National Wildlife Refuge (~6 miles)
- Toye Recreation (~6 miles)
- Ventimiglia Vineyards (~6 miles)
Looking for more?
- Around the Web