The Sandy Hook Light is the oldest standing lighthouse and the oldest operating lighthouse in the United States. It is the only surviving tower of the 11 lighthouses built in the thirteen colonies during the colonial period from 1716 to 1771.
First lit on June 11, 1764, its thick walls protected it from cannonball fire during the Revolutionary War. The Lighthouse Keeper's Quarters, currently a museum is the fifth Keeper's Quarters built on the site and was constructed in 1883.
The Sandy Hook Light is a National Historic Landmark. It is also part of the Fort Hancock and Sandy Hook Proving Ground Historic District National Historic Landmark.
Hours / Season of Operation
Offered first-come first-serve, 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., between May 1 and October 31, and 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. between November 1 and April 30.
Children must be at least 48 inches tall to climb the tower. A video in the adjacent barn is always open.
Lighthouse Keepers Quarters/ Visitor Center
Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. between May 1 and October 31; and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. between November 1 and April 30.
Rangers are available to answer questions, discuss the natural and cultural resources of the park and sell Senior/Access passes. Interpretive exhibits and a gift shop are available.