Milford, New Jersey, is located on the Delaware River in the northwestern portion of Hunterdon County, New Jersey. The Borough dates to the mid-18th century when a grist mill was established here. After the mill was destroyed by fire in 1769, the settlement became known as Burnt Mills. The town became commonly known as "Millford" by the beginning of the 19th century but by 1844 had lost one "l". It was incorporated in 1911 but the official incorporation was not registered until 1925.